Getting car insurance for a 19 year old can be confusing and expensive. You can expect to see your auto insurance rate balloon to more than $3,000 for full coverage if you choose to add a male teen to your policy. It is even more expensive if you choose to get your teenager your own insurance policy. The car insurance quotes for 19 year olds will likely be more than $3,000 and can eclipse $6,000 depending on the state. Nevertheless, that should not discourage you. Instead, you should look for low income car insurance options that offer affordable teen insurance.
Although it may seem confusing, especially if it is your first time looking for teen insurance, it is possible to find cheap insurance for 19 year olds. We will guide you through the auto insurance buying for teens to help you understand your options, discounts, and special circumstances that will help you lower the average car insurance cost per month.
Teen Insurance Buying Options
As a parent, you have two ways that you use to get your teenage insurance. You can opt to add the teenage to your existing insurance or you can buy different insurance for your 19 year old. Both options have their benefits and shortcomings that you must evaluate before choosing the best for your teenager.
Adding A Teen To Your Car Insurance
Every insurance company has its terms and conditions that make policies unique. However, we will give you a solid snapshot that you should expect to happen if you choose to add a teenager to your car insurance. For the purpose of this article, we take into consideration an owned 2019 Honda Accord, A 40-year old man buying full coverage, and then we added a 19-year-old teen to the policy.
The average car insurance cost for the family rose by 152 percent. Adding a teen boy to your policy is expensive than adding a teen girl. The average cost of car insurance for male teenagers rose by 176 percent. The average cost for adding car insurance for a 19 year old female teenager increased the bill to 129 percent. California State is one of the most expensive places to add a teen to your insurance with the rates increasing to over 200 percent.
The reason for the increase is because teens crash more often than older drivers. The risk is as much as four times higher than older people. However, you will need to note that the costs vary by insurance companies, which makes it important to shop around for the best rates.
How To Add A Teen To Your Car Insurance
Adding a teenager to your policy is simple when you are choosing a new car insurance company as you only need to give the details of your teenager when signing up. However, you will need to talk to your insurance agent in greater detail to add a teen to your existing policy. The steps that you should follow include:
- Call your car insurance company. On most occasions, your insurance company will contact you to ask you whether you may need to add your teen to an existing policy.
- Explain to the agent the changes to your policy in depth, including the minimum and maximum coverage and their pros and cons. You should also ask about the discounts that might apply like a multi-car discount if need to add a car.
- Give details about your teen driver’s license and any new vehicle.
- Take your time to decide. Review all the details and compare them with other options like buying your teen an own policy to find the best option.
What Should You Know Before Adding A Teen To Your Policy?
Keep in mind that the discounts you get for adding a 19 year old to your policy are as a result of the fact that you will share everything good or bad. Anything that happens to your teen will affect the premiums for better or worse. Since you share the discounts, you will also share the risks. If your teen gets a ticket, you will see an increase in costs of between 5 percent and 20 percent.
Buying A Teen Own Insurance
If you do not like the idea of adding a teen to your insurance policy, you can choose to buy your 19 year old own insurance policy. The insurance companies can sell policies directly to the teens, but the parent may have to co-sign the policy. Car insurance for a 19 year old is not cheap, but there are situations where it makes sense to buy your teen own insurance instead of adding him/her to your policy.
It makes sense to buy your teen own insurance if you have a luxury sports car or if your teen is eager to be financially independent. All drivers on the same policy are insured against all cars, which will significantly increase the cost if you have a luxury car.
When requesting car insurance quotes for 19 year olds, you should expect the cost to be higher than that of an adult. The insurance is expensive for teenagers as they are likely to get into an accident more than experienced drivers. The average car insurance rates for teenagers include:
- $3,989 for a 16-year old
- $3,522 for a 17-year old
- $3,148 for an 18-year old
- $2,178 for a 19-year old
- $1,945 for a 20-year old
Nevertheless, you must understand that the costs do not depend only on age. You should contact your insurance company to get a detailed quotation. As the teen gains experience, the cost of insurance decreases but the premiums can skyrocket as a result of accidents and points.
Always encourage your teen to practice safe driving at all times. You also need to note that the premiums will vary greatly for teenage males and females. The difference in car insurance costs can be more than $540 between the genders with the average cost of car insurance for male teens being $4,266 while the average cost of car insurance for a 19 year old female is $3,725.
The average cost of car insurance for a 19 year old driver in some states includes:
Michigan is the most expensive state with an average cost of $7,270 with Hawaii being the cheapest with an average cost of $1,175.
The 5 Companies With Cheap Car Insurance For 19 Year Olds
Erie Insurance Company provides cheap insurance for 19 year olds with an overall average of about $2,106. The average cost of car insurance for male teenagers is about $1,937 and the average cost of car insurance for a 19 year old female is $2,275. Despite being one of the cheapest for teen drivers, the company services are highly rated. It is perfect for drivers looking for excellent prices and superb personal interaction with an agent. It is also ideal for families that do not expect to change drivers or cars soon.
Erie Insurance highlights range from uniformly excellent rates to friendly customer service and coverage options that exceed what other insurers offer. The company rates are the cheapest on most profiles, helping buyers to save up to 40-percent off the average rates. Erie has some of the biggest perks with the most unique being the rate lock. The rate lock benefit protects your premiums, ensuring that you will pay the same rates year over year unless you change cars, drivers, or current address on your policy. The benefit keeps your rates the same indefinitely even if you make a claim or get in an accident.
Erie Auto Insurance Coverage
The company offers a wide range of benefits and coverages to its customers. Erie offers all common types of auto insurance coverages, including collision, liability, comprehensive, underinsured/uninsured motorists, and personal injury protection / medical payments. In addition to the common auto policies, the company also offers coverages that you will not find with other providers. Some benefits are bundled with common policies while others come separately. Some of Erie unique coverages include:
- Accident forgiveness – Your first at-fault accident after three years of safe driving will not increase your rates.
- Personal property – As part of the standard policy, the company will cover up to $350 of personal property in the car.
- Gap coverage – Erie will pay the difference between your vehicle’s replacement cost and the amount left on your loan or lease in case of a total loss.
- Windshield repair – The insurance company can pay the deductible to fix your windshield if it can be repaired instead of being replaced.
- Pet injury – Erie can pay up to $500 of expenses if your pet gets injured in a car accident.
- Roadside assistance – The option pays for towing, lockouts, and other help you might need on the road.
- New/better car replacement – The coverage pays for the difference to upgrade your car to a new model up to two years newer in case your vehicle is totaled in an accident.
- Rental car/transportation expenses – The option covers the cost of a rental car as your car is repaired after an accident.
- Rate lock – The feature gives you an option to pay a fixed rate indefinitely.
Erie Auto Insurance Discounts
Although the company has some of the cheapest rates, it offers several discounts that you can take advantage of to get cheap insurance for 19 year olds. You can get discounts for:
- Safe driving
- Buying policies for multiple cars
- Bundling multiple policy types
- Using your car little or not at all
- Paying for a year’s insurance upfront
- Driving a car with advanced safety features
- Being a young driver living with parents
- A good student
The USAA Insurance Company offers cheap insurance for 19 year olds. The average cost for car insurance for a 19 year old at USAA is $2,712. The average cost of car insurance for male is $2,862 with that of female teens at $2,561. The company is popular with military families and veterans for its exclusive low premiums and dependable customer service. The USAA is a good choice for first-time drivers and new vehicle owners looking for affordable rates and top-notch customer service.
The USAA has some of the highest ratings for satisfaction and low complaints about all its products. The insurance company offers above and beyond coverage like a steep 60 percent insurance discount for stored cars and waived deductibles for uniforms. However, the company does not have many in-person locations and most people will interact with the insurer exclusively online. Furthermore, USAA has strict eligibility requirements. It only offers coverage to people who have served in the military and those whose direct family members have had USAA insurance.
USAA Auto Insurance Coverage
The company offers all standard coverages, including comprehensive, liability, and collision insurance that you would expect from an auto insurer. Beyond the standard covers, the USAA has exciting coverage options that include:
- Car replacement assistance coverage – The option pays 20 percent on top of the cash value in case the car is totaled in an accident.
- Accident forgiveness – The option can be earned or purchased. It prevents your rates from going up after one at-fault accident. Drivers with no at-fault accidents after five years will qualify automatically.
- Rental reimbursement – The benefit will cover the rental costs of a vehicle as your vehicle is repaired. USAA lets you choose the type of car you will need, including economy, standard, multi-passenger-truck, or large SUV.
- Rideshare gap protection – The option protects rideshare drivers in situations where their personal cover and that of the rideshare service is not applicable.
- Glass coverage – USAA only offers full glass coverage to customers in Florida, Massachusetts, Kentucky, and South Carolina.
- Total loss protection – The coverage pays for the difference between what you owe and the value of the car. It is similar to gap insurance.
USAA Auto Insurance Discounts
The USAA auto insurance discounts are similar to what you will find with other insurance providers. The available discounts include multivehicle discounts, multipolicy discounts, and vehicle equipment discounts like daytime running lights and anti-theft devices. USAA discounts can change based on your location and history. The unique USAA discounts include:
- Military installation
- Annual mileage
- USAA discount for driving research
- Premier driver discount
- Defensive driving course
- Driver training course
- New vehicle
- Family discount
- Good student
- Automatic payments
The average cost of GEICO car insurance quotes for 19 year olds is $3,383. The average cost for car insurance for a 19 year old female is $3,171 while that of male teens is $3,596. GEICO’s popularity is driven by solid rates, exceptional customer service, and leading online applications. The company has some of the lowest rates for drivers with no recent history of accidents. GEICO is a good insurance company for safe drivers looking for fairly low rates. It is also a good option for drivers who would like to do everything online and those looking for multiple lines of insurance.
GEICO has an easy to use app that enables policyholders to pay for the bills, manage and access insurance information. The company has exciting coverages and benefits that match or surpass what other insurance companies offer. However, GEICO may not be ideal for you if you would prefer to deal directly with a local agent or driver who has been in an at-fault accident recently.
GEICO Auto Insurance Features And Coverage
GEICO insurance products are similar to what you get from other major insurance companies with the primetime contract and mobile app being the exception. The coverage options that are common with other insurance providers include bodily injury and property liability coverage, collision and comprehensive coverage, medical payment, and injury protection, uninsured and underinsured liability, and gap insurance. Some of the top features and coverages that make GEICO a popular insurer include:
- Mobile app – The app is a one-stop-shop that lets you do everything from getting a quote to filing a claim.
- Prime time contract – The option guarantees that all qualified drivers above the age of 50 will continue to receive a renewal of their policy. Multiple traffic violations and other high risks will not stop you from getting a GEICO policy.
- Auto repair xpress – The insurer has a network of repair shops where customers get GEICO-backed guarantee for all repairs.
- Car buying service – Anyone can use this service to see what other people have paid for a specific car.
- Mechanical breakdown insurance – The option pays for certain repairs for cars that are less than 15 months old and have fewer than 15,000 miles.
- Emergency road service – The option pays for your roadside assistance, including jump-starts, towing, flat-tire changes, and locksmith services.
- Rideshare insurance – GEICO offers combined personal auto insurance and rideshare, protecting drivers while driving at work or for pleasure.
- Accident forgiveness – The option helps make sure that your insurance rates will not increase after your first at-fault accident. You will qualify for the cover if you remain accident-free for at least five years.
- Rental reimbursement – GEICO will reimburse the cost of your car rental as your car is repaired after an accident.
- Glass coverage – GEICO will waive your deductibles for comprehensive claims for glass repairs.
GEICO Auto Insurance Discounts
GEICO has pretty standard benefits across auto insurance with a major focus on safe driving habits and vehicle equipment. The insurance company also offers benefits to drivers who bundle multiple vehicles and who belong to certain organizations. Some of the GEICO benefits that can help you get cheap insurance for 19 year olds include:
- Federal employee discount
- Military discounts
- Driving history discounts
- Defensive drivers discounts
- Pay in full discounts
- Student discounts
- Multicar discount
- Membership and employee discounts
- Multi-policy discount
- Multi-car discount
- Vehicle equipment discounts
4. Progressive Insurance
Progressive Insurance is a great company for new drivers and drivers with a recent history of accidents. While its rates are not the cheapest for safe drivers, it tends to have the best rates who drivers with a recent record of accidents, making it ideal for teenagers who are likely to get into an accident. The Progressive’s average cost for car insurance for a 19 year old is $4,055. The average cost of car insurance for male teenagers is $4,301 while that of females is $3,809.
Progressive Insurance is best for drivers who had previous accidents and are looking for the best rates. It is also ideal for new drivers looking to build safe driving without the risk of paying excessive premiums for a single mistake. As one of the largest insurers in the automobile market, Progressive has amazing discounts, rates, and coverage options.
Progressive Auto Insurance Coverage
Progressive provides all types of auto insurance coverages you will expect from a leading insurance company. The standard coverages by Progressive Insurance include liability coverage, medical payments, collision coverage, uninsured/underinsured bodily injury, uninsured motorist property damage, and comprehensive coverage. Beyond the standard features, the company has innovative, unique covers that include:
- Pet injury – The insurance pays for veterinary bills in case your pet is injured in an accident.
- Custom parts and equipment value – Progressive offers $1000 for custom parts and accessories like navigation systems and stereos under collision and comprehensive coverage.
- Gap insurance – The option covers the difference between the balance on loan or lease and what you owe the bank or leasing company.
- Rental reimbursement – The insurer the costs of car rental as your car is repaired after an accident.
Progressive Auto Insurance Discounts
Progressive has notable discounts that make the auto policy worth its popularity. Through a unique Snapshot program, the company makes it easy for clients to achieve discounts. The discounts that you will find at Progressive include:
- Start your quote online
- Safe driver
- Continuous insurance
- Pay in full
- Sign documents online
- Good student
- Automatic bill payment
- Teen driver discount
- Bundle auto and property
5. State Farm
Consistent customer service and a broad range of insurance products are some of the features that make State Farm a great choice auto insurer. Although the average cost of car insurance for a 19 year old is a bit pricey at $4,251, the company has a host of discounts that you can use to lower the cost. The average cost of car insurance for male teenagers at State Farm is $4,645 while the car insurance for a 19 year old female is $3,858. State Farm is a great auto insurance provider for individuals that would like to connect with a local agent or those looking for multiple lines of insurance coverage.
State Farm insurance is also perfect for those looking for an all-online experience. A pocket agent mobile app gives customers the ability to manage their insurance conveniently. You can use the app to pay for premiums, get roadside assistance, and file a claim. Furthermore, if you need to talk to an agent, you can find a dedicated agent through an extensive network of over 18,000. That said, you may need to note that State Farm is not the best insurance provider for shoppers looking for the cheapest rates or those that do not qualify for any discounts.
State Farm Coverage Options
You will find all the standard auto insurance coverage options and unique offerings at State Farm. The standard options include personal injury protection, liability insurance, uninsured/ underinsured motorist, and collision and comprehensive insurance. State Farm unique policy add-ons that make the company competitive include:
- Rental car and travel expenses coverage – Although almost all major insurance providers offer rental car insurance, State Farm goes an extra step to cover meals, lodging, and transportation if your car breaks down while on the road.
- Rideshare insurance – The option covers you while you are working by extending your personal policy to cover rideshare.
- Steer clear driver program – The option targets drivers below 25 years. It offers less experienced drivers a chance to brush up on their driver education. Completing the program gives drivers discounts of up to 15 percent off their premium.
- Drive safe and save – Enrolling in the program gives you an automatic 5 percent discount on your auto insurance rates. The insurer uses the data collected by the program in formulating premiums in your renewals, enabling you to save up to 50 percent.
State Farm Auto Insurance Discounts
Although the average costs for insurance are not the cheapest, State Farm offers excellent discount options that can reduce the cost by as much as 50 percent. The top options are the steer clear driver program and the drive safe and save programs, but the list of benefits does not end there. State Farm provides safe driver discounts, student driver discounts, safe vehicle discounts, and customer loyalty discounts. The benefits that you should check whether you qualify for include:
- Accident-free discount
- Defensive driving discount
- Student away at school discount
- Good driving discount
- Driver training discount
Car insurance for a 19 year old is more expensive than it is for an average driver. 19 year old male drivers will pay more for auto insurance than 19 year old female drivers. Nevertheless, you can find cheaper rates for a 19-year-old driver by taking advantage of discounts insurance providers offer like a good student and safe driving discounts.