Sooner than later you will realize that your child needs a car seat. Getting the right car seat for your child is probably among the most important things you will ever do to your child. Remember both the safety and security of your four-year-old child matters a lot on your journey, be it long or short. That is why we have taken our time to review the 10 safest car seats for 4-year-old so that you can make a better choice.
- Why Use Safety Seat?
- Types of 4 Year Old Car Seats
- How We Picked Best Car Seat?
- Why You Trust Our Review?
- The 10 Best Safest Car Seat For 4 Year Old Kids Reviews
- 1) Graco Highback TurboBooster Car Seat
- 2) Evenflo Maestro Booster Car Seat Thunder
- 3) Britax Frontier ClickTight Harness-2-Booster Car Seat
- 4) KidsEmbrace 2-in-1 Harness Booster Car Seat
- 5) Chicco KidFit 2-in-1 Belt-Positioning Booster Seat
- 6) Evenflo Big Kid AMP High Back Booster Car Seat
- 7) Chicco KidFit 2-in-1 Belt-Positioning Booster Seat
- 8) KidsEmbrace 2-in-1 Harness Booster Car Seat
- 9) Diono Cambria 2 Booster Seat
- 10) Chicco GoFit Backless Booster Car Seat
- Buying Guideline When Choosing A Car Seat
- Different Between Rear-Facing and Toddler Seat
- Safety Tips For Booster Seat
Why Use Safety Seat?
The best way to protect your child while traveling is by use of a car seat. In fact, it is required by law for every child to be restrained in every state in the USA. This is important because unintended injury leads to many causes of death in children and is caused by injuries most of which are a result of car crashes.
Using child safety seats will significantly reduce the risk of potentially serious injury, especially in children. Despite this, many seats are not used correctly. When selecting a car seat for your child, it is advisable to follow certain guidelines to ensure that your child is safe.
Types of 4 Year Old Car Seats
There are 2 major types of four year old child car seats available. It is important that you decide on what you prefer and the one that will deliver before buying.
1) Convertible Car Seats
this a very common option and can even be used from the moment your child is born. They start out rear-facing, then converted to a forward-facing seat and also into a booster seat. some drawbacks regarding this seat are that they are heavy.
They lack a static base that you can install like the lightweight infant car seat and so switching from one car to another requires installing and uninstalling every time. Also, it cannot be used to carry infants. However, they can save you money because with it you will not need to buy three or more seats when your child grows.
2) Forwarding-facing Car Seats
The forward-facing car seat will keep the child in a five-point harness but it will be easier for her to interact with you. You will be able to see your child easily using the rearview mirror.
Some forward-facing seats are one mode of a convertible seat, while others serve double duty as both booster modes and forward-facing. It is rare to find seats that face forward only.
3) Harnessed Forward-facing Seats
you should allow your child to ride in a 5-point harness seat until the seat cannot accommodate her or when she can use a booster seat. Don’t be in a hurry to switch to a booster. Most kids are not ready when it comes to behaviors to sit in a booster seat when only contained by a seat belt.
Every parent knows her child well. If you see your child has outgrown the harnessed seat and can sit well with a seat belt alone, then you can safely switch to the booster.
4) Belt-positioning Boosters
These are the perfect boosters to switch to after a harnessed seat. They position the kids correctly when asleep and also position the seat belt well on the shoulders of small kids.
5) Backless Boosters
These help to boost your kid higher to allow the seat belt of the vehicle fit better but don’t offer back or head support. The child’s head should be supported from the vehicle behind so that they can ride in a backless booster.
These are ideal for kids that don’t easily fall asleep while in the car since they can’t prevent the kids from slumping over. They are however the cheapest kind, very light and easy to change from one car to another.
How We Picked Best Car Seat?
We sampled some of the most popular safest car seat for 4 year old in the market and sampled out each and every one of them based on the factors stated above. We further conducted a survey by asking real parents with real children on what their preferences were.
After gathering the reviews and feedback from parents who have had hands-on experience with the products, we went ahead to give all these car seats unbiased ratings and created a list of the 10 that emerged the best.
Why You Trust Our Review?
Our review is not just based on the feedback and reviews of real users, but we have also conducted our own research to bring you the details as they are. There is no fabrication of information whatsoever. Our main goal is to ensure our readers purchase the best products based on all the necessary requirements.
The 10 Best Safest Car Seat For 4 Year Old Kids Reviews
1) Graco Highback TurboBooster Car Seat
Suitable for children of between 4 to 10 years, weighing anywhere between 30 to 100 pounds, the Graco Highback TurboBooster car seat is one of the best, if not the best car seat for your child. This car seat comes fully packed with numerous safety features and has even exceeded the standard safety requirements.
This seat is very ideal for parents who want to get an affordable, durable, and lightweight car seat for their children. The booster seat has some features which can be compared to some.
- Suitable for children who weigh from 30 -100 lbs.
- The back and bottom parts of the seat stay connected making it very easy to carry.
- crash tested to meet safety standards.
- Designed with energy absorbing foam for added protection.
- There is a multi-layer and fully-adjustable headrest for comfort.
- There is full coverage back support for your child as they grow.
- The 2-in-1 functionality which makes converting back to a backless booster car seat for years of use.
- Height-adjustable armrests.
- hide-away cup holders.
2) Evenflo Maestro Booster Car Seat Thunder
While driving around, you will need your child to become as safe as possible. Since anything such accidents can happen while on the road, the best shot you have at keeping your child safe and at the same time comfortable is the Evenflo Maestro Booster car seat.
This seat is designed to hold your child safe from the time they outgrow rear-facing seats to when they no longer require the assistance of safety car seats.
- This seat was rated as the best by IIHS in 2013.
- 4-harness slot positions.
- 2 crotch buckle positions.
- Triple-layered seat cover.
- It has a machine washable & dryable seat cover.
- There are two integrated cup holders.
- A built-in harness and LATCH storage is provided.
- Lightweight with a low profile.
3) Britax Frontier ClickTight Harness-2-Booster Car Seat
Buying a booster car seat for your child is more or less like buying a vehicle for yourself. All the features you look for in a luxury car safety, comfort, convenience, efficiency, sleek design, etc. are all found in the Britax Frontier ClickTight Harness-2-Booster car seat.
The only difference if you compare this car seat to a luxury car is that the price is ridiculously affordable.
- This seat is a combination harness and booster seat meaning there is no need to buy a separate booster.
- ClickTight technology is perfect for easy seat installation.
- The SafeCell impact protection for better side-impact safety.
- The seat provides a higher top harness height (20.5″) than any seat in the market.
4) KidsEmbrace 2-in-1 Harness Booster Car Seat
Finally, a car seat that children can sit in without giving you much trouble. Thanks to the innovative design with superhero-themed booster car seats from KidEmbrace, kids can now leap into the seats of their favorite character without much convincing to do.
Apart from the amazing kid-friendly design, this car seat comes packed with lots of comfort and safety features.
- 5-point harness.
- Adjustable headrest.
- Easy installation.
- 2 cup holders available.
5) Chicco KidFit 2-in-1 Belt-Positioning Booster Seat
This forward-facing convertible backed and a backless booster car seat is not just about elegance and class, but will also ensure your child stays comfortable while remaining safe throughout your entire rides.
- 10-position headrest which is fully lined with EPS foam.
- Removable armrest and seat pad covers.
- 2 removable cup holders.
- The backrest can be removed to be used as a backless booster.
- SuperCinch Latch attachment and one-hand pull tightener.
- Fitted with a duoZone side impact protection.
- Many fun colors with mesh material to choose from.
6) Evenflo Big Kid AMP High Back Booster Car Seat
With a very high weight and age limit (30–110 pounds), this seat grows together with your child ensuring it fits in well through the 6 different adjustable positions. Having met and passed all federal crash test standards, you can rest assured your child is safe.
- 2 Seats In 1 – the removable back allows for an easy transition to a no-back booster.
- 6 position height adjustment to accommodate a growing child.
- 2 cup holders.
- Energy absorbing foam liner for added safety.
- Machine washable pad.
7) Chicco KidFit 2-in-1 Belt-Positioning Booster Seat
Being one of the first booster seats from Chicco, the company has put much consideration while making the KidFit booster car seat.
- 10-position headrest.
- The Ergoboost double foam padding.
- The headrest is fully lined with EPS foam.
- Removable armrest and seat pad covers.
- Can be used for weights of 30-110 pounds.
- 2 removable cup holders.
- The backrest can be removed to be used as a backless booster.
- SuperCinch Latch attachment.
- DuoZone side impact protection.
8) KidsEmbrace 2-in-1 Harness Booster Car Seat
Another wonderful flagship from KidsEmbrace which will keep your little superhero to their seats. With the Incredible Hulk’s theme, your kid will feel like a superhero at all times a perfect gift for your loved one.
With the same comfort and security features as the Marvel Spider-Man themed seat above, this is a definite buy for your kid who is a Hulk fan.
9) Diono Cambria 2 Booster Seat
This car seat can be used as either a high back booster or a backless booster. While it can be used by children from 38 inches tall, it also has one of the highest weight limits of all the car seats we have reviewed on this list of between 40 lbs. to 120 lbs.
- Multi-position recline and headrest.
- Low anchor connectors.
- Retractable cup holders.
- LATCH connection system.
10) Chicco GoFit Backless Booster Car Seat
At a certain age, your kid will no longer be interested in the booster seats with a restricting back. However, you should not sacrifice safety of your by doing away completely with booster seats. This is where the Chicco GoFit Backless booster car seat comes in.
- Has a high weight range from 40-110 pounds.
- Comfortable padding with contoured support.
- Machine washable.
- 2 separate cup holders.
- 3 different colors to choose from.
- A built-in carry handle for parents on the go.
Buying Guideline When Choosing A Car Seat
- Make sure the seat has a label showing that it complies or exceeds the standards set by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 213.
- Be cautious when going for a used seat. It is advisable not to use a seat exceeding six years old or that was involved in a crash- even if it appears okay because its structure may not be sound. Stay away from seats that are incomplete, lacks labels showing the date of manufacture and also a model number, or don’t come with instruction manuals. Important also, check on the expiration date recommended by the manufacturer.
- If you settle on a used seat, contact the manufacturer so that he can recommend on how long the seat can be used safely and also to find out whether it has been recalled ever. Recalls do happen, and the manufacturer might replace you with a part of a new model.
- Ensure you fill the product registration card so that you can receive notifications about recalls more promptly.
Different Between Rear-Facing and Toddler Seat
The official meaning of a toddler is a child who is between 1 and 3 years (12-36 months), but when dealing with toddler seats, the term toddler has a wider range. According to the AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics), you ought to keep your child rear-facing for a long time.
Manufacturers of car seats are making this a reality by providing seats with larger weight limits, between 50 and 55 pounds. Therefore, you can keep between a 3 and 5-year-old child facing the rear, depending on the size.
Booster seats can either be backed high or backless. Generally, high-backed seats are the next step when your child exceeds the group 1 forward facing seat (approx. 4 years). Still, your child will benefit from side wing protection and usually come with adjustable headrests.
Safety Tips For Booster Seat
Below are some booster seat for 4 year old safety tips to ensure your child safety:
- When your child exceeds the maximum height or weight limit allowed for forward-facing child safety with a harness, use a belt-positioning booster seat until the lap of the vehicle and shoulder belt properly fit.
- Use a belt-positioning booster in the back seat of the vehicle
- While using a booster seat, ensure the lap belt is lied low and snugged across the upper thighs of your child, just below the bones of the hip. The shoulder belt should cross through the center of the chest and shoulder of your child and should not cross your child’s face or neck.
- Not a single moment should you put the shoulder belt behind the back of your child or even arms. Always remember that the seat belts will cause harm when under the arms or when placed behind the back.
To ensure the shoulder belt is well fit, most boosters have belt guides (high-back booster seat) or plastic clips that enables the belt to remain on the shoulders.
If your vehicle lacks shoulder belts in the back seat, you ought to consider having your auto dealer install shoulder belts or use a travel vest which caters for children up to 168 lbs.
Buying the safest car seat for 4 year old is an investment that you need to put much focus when buying. Our comprehensive buyers’ guide will ensure you get the best. Use our list and choose the one which best fits your 4 year old!