Even though dashboard cameras may not be a new thing in the market, they are not so common among drivers. Buying these gadgets can be confusing, especially now when the latest devices are featuring advanced features like the dash cam with parking mode. While the prices are increasingly getting cheaper, you will want to get the best value for your money.
The most basic dash cam options will provide seamless video recording and auto-save footage in case there is an incident. Nevertheless, many of the best front and rear dash cams today are smarter and integrate advanced technologies, including WiFi, GPS navigation, and cloud storage. You will also find incredible safety features like driver assist that will alert you when veering into the wrong lane.
What Is Parking Mode?
Parking mode refers to a feature in dashboard cameras that keeps the dash cam functioning even when the car is non-operational, or the engine is off. Depending on the respective dashcam brand, you may find the feature going by different names. For instance, Thinkware and DOD Tech brands call this feature Parking Surveillance, while Avic and BlackVue refer to it as a Parking Mode. Parking mode is a useful thing to have in your dashcam as it lends 24-hour vehicle protection and surveillance.
Different Kinds Of Parking Mode
A dashboard camera with parking mode can function as a surveillance camera when the vehicle is parked, to watch over the surroundings in your absence. There are two different kinds of parking mode, which we distinguish depending on the method of activation. The two types of parking modes are automatic and manual.
1. Manual Parking Mode
Plenty of the basic dash cams have the manual parking mode activation system, which can come in two distinct settings:
- Parking mode: If you activate the function, the dashboard camera will turn on and begin recording footage when it detects vibration. In this mode, you can leave the parking mode active all through without any issues.
- Motion detection: With motion detection active, the dashcam remains on standby, and will only initiate video recordings after detecting movement. Once the recording is complete, the camera will go back to standby mode.
2. Automatic Parking Mode
As the name suggests, dashboard cameras with automatic parking mode will automatically activate and deactivate the function. Automatic parking mode is available in two different styles, which you can distinguish according to how they activate.
- Stationary: In this mode, the dashcam will use GPS navigation and G-sensor data to tell whether the car has been stationary for a set period, which activates the parking mode.
- Contact: With contact automatic parking mode, the vehicle relies on a hardwire cable with three wires to detect the stationary state. The positive connection of the cables loses power when the ignition turns off, which signals the dashcam to activate the parking mode. In this state, parking mode enables directly when you turn off the car.
How we picked and tested?
To bring you the best dash cams for your next road trip, we used multiple online thread forums plus checking in with a range of reliable online review sources such as PC World, Popular Mechanics, and CNET to pick and test these dashboard cameras. Additionally, we had to factor in our previous tests of the gadgets, which led us to expand our list to include new dash cams we have not tested.
Why should you trust our review?
You can trust our reviews because Cars Plan does not participate in third-party brand advertising. We endeavor to provide independent and consistent information through conducting internal product tests and consulting trusted review sources in the industry.
The 10 Best Dash Cam With Parking Mode Reviews In 2020
1. Thinkware Q800 Pro 2 Channel HD Dash Camera
Those looking for the best dash cam with parking mode should consider the F800 Pro. The latest device from Thinkware builds on its previous version F800 to become one of the most exceptional parking mode dash cams.
- The Sony STARVIS CMOS Sensor gives outstanding performance in poorly lit conditions
- Built-in WiFi allows users to integrate the device into your smartphone.
- Ambarella A12 Chipset allows this device to record footage in up to 1080-pixel resolution simultaneously on both channels.
- Built-in GPS makes the camera give speed or red light alerts along with the extra capability for Geo-Fencing warnings.
- Night vision ensures you capture clear images of pedestrians and trailing vehicles during the night
- Comes with 32 GB microSD memory card to improve your storage capacity
- High-resolution recordings for both the front and rear cameras
- Decent chipset and image sensor
- Night vision
- Cutoff for high temperature
- Includes 32 GB storage card
The Vava Front and Rear recording dashboard camera come with full features to redefine your driving experience.
- Dual 1920x1080P at 30fps high-quality footage recordings
- Built-in Sony IMX323 CMOS image sensor gives clear footage even in dark conditions
- Choose one among three single front camera modes, including 1920x1080P at 60fps, 2560x1440P at 30fps, or 2304x1296P at 30fps for the highest quality visual experience.
- The 24/7 parking monitor integrates a 320 mAh battery for movement triggered recordings.
- The camera auto-protects impact videos for insurance claims and other legal proceedings
- Integrates WiFi and a Vava Dash app to save vital events like hard brakes to your phone
- Integrated GPS for location, speed, and driving route tracking
- Integrates 320 mAh battery
- Supports Windows OS, iOS, and Android
- 24-hour parking mode
- Supports up to 128 GB external memory
- Dash Cam WiFi connection with Android turns off cellular mode
- The device connects to phone apps within a 5-meter range
- Very low 640×360 at 60fps real-time resolution
3. APEMAN Dual Dash Cam C860
The ApeMan Dual Dash Cam C860 series is one of the best dash cams under 100 that gets your driving under control through high-resolution recordings.
- 1520-pixel, 1440-pixel, and 1080-pixel maximum single front camera resolution with 30FPS
- A built-in 420-mAh capacity battery for emergency footage back up
- Dual camera modes include 1440-pixel + 1080-pixel and 1080-pixel + 1080-pixel resolutions
- Powerful Sony IMX 335 advanced technology sensor for maximum durability
- Dual 170-degree wide viewing angle
- Three-inch, IPS HD screen for clear, live display
- Emergency footage auto-lock
- Multiple super high-definition footage modes
- Advanced technology sensor
- Emergency accident video lock
- Easy to install
- Loop recording
- No SD card
- Supports only up to 128 GB expandable memory
The BlackVue DR900S-2CH is redefining the expectations for dashboard cameras with 4k video fidelity and better storage efficiency.
- An 8-megapixel CMOS sensor for the front-facing camera to capture 4k UHD videos
- The Sony Starvis image sensor for the back-facing camera captures Full High-Definition images in all light conditions
- Integrates the HEVC 265 compression technology for smaller footage size while maintaining quality
- BlackVue Over the Cloud allows users to see their vehicle from anywhere
- The built-in dual-band WiFi plus GPS gives you access to speed data, visualize the location of your car or use the BlackVue app for route tracking
- The integrated motion and impact detection feature enables the camera to detect an impact or sudden speed changes, including motion detection in parking mode
- BlackVue is compatible with Android, iOS, Windows, and Mac OS for easy access to footage over multiple devices
- The package comes with 16 GB microSD card for extra storage
- The BlackVue Power Magic Pro supplies power to the camera from the car’s battery with user-specific settings to avoid discharging the battery
- Package includes 16 GB memory card
- 4k UHD video recordings
- 265 footage compressor
- Integrated GPS and WiFi
- Integrates motion and impact detection
- Offers cloud compatibility for remote access
- Does not include a standalone power source
5. SOLIOM G1 380° Full Angle Car Dash Cam
Enjoy 380-degree full angle views with the front and inside camera lens, while on the road courtesy of the SOLIOM G1 380° Full Angle Car Dash Cam.
- Dual 190-degree front and inside lens eliminates all blind angles around your car
- Front and inside 1080-pixel footage recordings courtesy of the SunPlus 6350A processors along with Sony Exmor IMX323 sensors
- Improved heat dissipation through the enlarged cooling pin plus extra cooling holes to ensure optimum working temperatures for the car security camera
- The auto-off LCD timer keeps you safe from glowing distractions on the windshield
- The time-lapse feature records long-period events and compresses them into your SD card to save on storage space
- A seamless recording will overwrite old footage incase the SD storage is full
- G-Sensor auto-records preserves and protects impact and motion footage to prevent overwriting
- Comes with a backup lithium-polymer battery
- Maintains the optimum working temperature in hot weather
- Enhanced 380° parking surveillance
- Powerful processors and sensors for simultaneous video recordings
- Package excludes SD storage card
6. Lifechaser Dual Dash Cam
Get the latest dimension in camera dashboard technology with the Lifechaser Dual Dash Cam that packs an Omnivision image sensor.
- 4K+1080P + 4k dual-channel footage recordings
- Features the Hisilicon HI3559V200 processor for seamless simultaneous recordings
- Carries an OmniVision OS_08A10 image sensor for enhancing night vision capability
- Comes with the image distortion correction technology to correct lens distortions and ensure quality images
- The HEVC 265 video compression technology guarantees the highest quality footages with minimum space requirements
- WiFi integration plus app connection allows for remote access to video recordings
- Built-in GPS lets you check the speed, route, and location of the vehicle with remote access
- Loop recording ensures uninterrupted video recordings by deleting the old footage to save new recordings when storage capacity low
- G-senor automatically locks impact footage to prevent deletion through loop recording feature
- G-Sensor and motion detection
- Loop recording
- Mobile app for remote access over iOS and Android platforms
- Integrated 250mAh capacity Li-ion battery
- 18-month warranty
7. Vantrue N2 Pro Uber Dual Dash Cam
The Vantrue N2 Pro Uber Dual Dash Cam comes with the latest technology in car dashboard recorders to make the best driving partner any driver would need.
- Stable performance courtesy of the powerful NOVATEK NT96660 processor along with other features like the advanced Sony Starvis CMOS and four infrared LEDs
- Better resolution over the front-facing camera that packs a reliable OV4689 sensor for best visibility and multiple recording formats
- The passenger pointing night vision enhances night visibility without extra lighting
- Comes with a larger expandable memory capacity of up to 256 GB that ensures long-time recordings
- Packs four infrared sensors
- Next-generation NOVATEK NT96660 processor
- High-quality footage recordings
- Larger capacity for external storage
- Integrated 250 mAh battery
8. Z-Edge Z3D Dual Dash Cam
Capture the events on the road in different modes with Z-Edge Z3D Dual Dash Cam.
- 7-inch touch screen
- 1920 x 1080-pixel dual-mode recording
- 2560×1440-pixel single front recording
- GPS navigation for accurate location, routing, and speed recording
- Supports up to 256 GB expandable memory
- Wide Dynamic Range to technology for balancing exposure
- Super Night Vision with advanced image processor plus six-layer glass lens
- Parking mode for 24/7 vehicle surveillance
- G-Sensor for emergency video locking
- Seamless loop recording
- Four-lane traffic cover with dual 150-degree full angle view
- Higher external storage capacity
- Loop recording
- Dual super high-definition recording
- Wide Quad High-Definition 2560x1440p at 30FPS single front camera recording
- No integrated battery
- No SD card
9. Crosstour Dual Dash Cam
The mini dashboard camera gives you decent surveillance for your vehicle through multiple features.
- 1920×1080-pixel front recording with 170-degree view angle
- 1280×720-pixel rear recording with 120-degree view angle
- G-Sensor backed parking surveillance
- High-performance processors
- F/1.8 super large aperture with a six-glass lens for the front camera
- 12-month warranty
- Loop recording
- 1-year warranty
- Parking mode
- 1080-Pixel Full High-Definition front camera recording
- High Dynamic Range technology
- No SD card
- No internal battery
10. APEMAN 4K max Dash Cam with OLED Touch Screen
The APEMAN 4K max Dash Cam unveils the ultra HD world in your driving experience with superior dash cam features.
- 1920 by 1080 at 30FPS dual camera recording
- 1440-Pixel at 30FPS or 2160-Pixel at 24FPS or 1080-Pixel at 30FPS single front camera recording
- Sony IMX335 sensor for superior night vision
- Wide Dynamic Range technology to balance image exposure
- OLED touch screen
- Integrated WiFi allows remote video access and sharing via OKCam, KaCam, and LuckyCam apps on mobile phone
- Parking mode for full-time vehicle surveillance
- Detachable GPS navigation with Windows and Mac support to track your vehicle’s location, speed, and route instantly
- Gravity sensor for impact detection and footage auto-lock
- Seamless loop recording
- Remote footage access with mobile apps
- Parking mode
- Incident video auto-lock
- Detachable GPS navigation
- WiFi support
- Low external memory support of up to 128 GB
- No SD card
- No integrated battery
How to Choose The right Dash Cam For Parking Mode
If you are going to use your dash cam for parking surveillance, it should meet the following requirements:
- It should be a dual-channel dashcam
- It should be discrete. You do not want the gadget to be too obvious, especially since you will use it for parking surveillance. When a camera is too shiny on your dashboard, it is likely to strike the attention of neighborhood burglars.
- Excellent video quality: The camera should lend the best video footage you can get. We recommend buying a dual dash cam that can record at 1080-pixel resolution simultaneously.
- It should offer the best reliability, more so if you intend to use it for long periods.
- MicroSD Storage: We recommend getting a microSD storage card that can sustain heavy duty usage without crashing.
What is Single Channel Or Dual Channel?
If you need maximum protection when you are away from the car, the dual-channel camera would be a preferable option as it improves your field of view and increases the chances of finding the person who caused damage to your vehicle.
On the other hand, single-channel dash cameras are less costly and provide higher resolution footages than dual-channel gadgets. Additionally, a single channel dashboard cam would be sufficient for those who park against a wall.
Many people only know of the dash cam’s role as a silent witness during accidents. However, if you have been wondering how to keep your car safe from burglary, the best dash cam with parking mode will show you a recording of what happened if you find your car damaged. You can use our comprehensive review of the best dash cameras with parking mode to match a device to your needs. Alternatively, if you know where to look, you might find even better gadgets than what we have on our list.